More of a curiosity than a serious railway, but with an interesting history, was the Porthcawl Miniature Railway. The quarter-mile, 15 in. gauge miniature railway opened in 1935, the year of the Silver Jubilee, using two steam-outline petrol locomotives. Rolling stock comprised new bodies based on former Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway chassis. The locomotive illustrated above is no.1936 (of that year), 'Coney Queen'. The line closed and was dismantled at the end of the 1986 season. The line was built as an added attraction to the Fun Fair on land belonging to the owners at the time.
The line was 400 Yards long and consisted of a station at each end, Coney Beach at one end and Pier End at the other. It was positioned between the road, which ran alongside the eastern promenade from the funfair to the harbour basin and what was at the time the salt lake, which was used for swimming, diving and boating. The Great Western Railway station was visible across the salt lake and was more or less parallel with the P.M.R. The turning triangle of the G.W.R. swung across the end of the salt lake and was about 40 Yards from the P.M.R. Coney Beach station.
Originally the Standard gauge line also crossed the road and went behind the funfair to the old gas works. The salt lake was originally the inner harbour of the Porthcawl docks, which were closed in the late 19th Century. It was completely filled in during the 1930's and has been used as a car park ever since. The Standard gauge line was closed and removed during the early 1960's leaving the P.M.R. to survive until about 1986. The locomotive illustrated is a Freelance 4-6-4PE no. 1936 (of that year), 'Coney Queen'.